I have 34 sixth graders coming to my classroom tomorrow and I have been waiting for this day for a good 5 years. It's ironic how when I tell people I teach 6th grade they cringe and say "God bless you," but when I told them I taught Kindergarten people would coo and aww about how cute they must be. Yeah, they're cute until there are 20 of them and 1 of you. I will take on the 34 sixth graders any day!
My "Anybody! Anytime! Anywhere!" heading relates to my classroom theme this year- college. I love college. I love the traditions, the friends, the nap times, the football games, the opportunity to advance yourself. I even decorated my classroom to resemble a college- see http://pinterest.com/pin/126671881/
My desire is for every student to start thinking about where they want to be and what they want to do. Sometimes I wish I would have had the courage and confidence to go somewhere BIG for college. In fact my husband and I joke that instead of buying a house, we should've applied to the same post grad schools at Texas or wherever. I'm proud to be a Fresno State Bulldog, but there is something mystical and powerful about tradition. I hope to show my sixth graders a quick peek at what is to come.
This is my 5th year of teaching and I have taught K, 3, 4/5, and now 6th grade. I'm pretty sure I'll stay in 6th for awhile. Clovis is my home and I feel beyond fortunate to have a teaching job in this district. My husband enjoys not being in the teaching profession, though he is also a public servant- an RN. On the weekends, we visit Starbucks regularly and wash our cars (he loves this a little more than I do). Our lives revolve around the fall and college football season. We love our BULLDOGS, but my dad is a die hard DUCK! Our house gets loud and tense! But we wouldn't want it any other way. Please pray for me as I travel to away games and complete my assignments this semester. It's hard to stay focused when everyone else wants to continue to have fun!
I hope everyone has an AWESOME first week!
Great start to your blog. Nice job in linking to pictures of your classroom. Sixth grade students are definitely a breed of their own! Hope your first week went smoothly.
ReplyDelete