Saturday, September 10, 2011

Group Pitfalls

I especially appreciated The "Group Pitfalls" section under Chapter 1.  My current school site operates with this approach.  It works fairly efficiently and we have good results.  But I feel teachers do not want to step on toes or challenge anyone for fear of sounding stupid, bossy, or against the grain. 

The authors said the socially clever reign conversations and the rest of the teachers just go along with them.  In our grade levels, I feel this is the most challenging part of being a PLC.  Who actually wants to stir the hornet's nest? Make the teaching situation uncomfortable?  As a quiet and green leader, I am not always prepared to communicate back to this person.  Most of the time, I know what I would've said when I'm back in my classroom after the conversation.  However, it gets more difficult to run an effective grade level or successful school without confronting disagreements. 

My new thinking during this busy semester is that I "work" and work means to exert oneself physically or mentally.  So, if I have worked to the best of my ability, that means I am supposed to be drained in every way every day.  And that's a good thing.  Work is meant to be challenging, so I should be critically communicating with my staff.

3 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed reading about the consensus building and group pitfalls section in Ch. 1. It reminded me of PLCs, leadership teams, School Site Council (SSC), parent/teacher organizations, interview panels, and other organizations that are assembled to help make important decisions for the students in which we serve. Confronting strong personalities can be challenging. This is why establishing norms in a PLC or group is very important. A common norm for many groups that I have participated in is "No hogs. No logs." We don't allow people to dominate (hog) or sit and do nothing (like a bump on a log).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great connection to those that are 'socially clever' dominating conversations. I can see this in full effect within our grade level PLC's as well. There aren't any teachers at my site who seem to be comfortable with stirring that hornets nest... and it makes for a really uncomfortable follow up conversation when you are the one who speaks their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your comments about feeling wanted. That sounds like a basic human emotion and perhaps we overlook that sometimes. I know that administrators become overwhelmed with the day-to-day, but I wonder: Is it fulfilling that basic human emotion of making people feel needed and important that really makes a difference?

    Thanks for the insights!

    Don

    ReplyDelete