Sunday, October 16, 2011

Trust

My parents taught me a saying when I was a young girl, and it has always stuck with me: "Garbage in, garbage out."  Whoever you are with, whatever you hear, whatever you watch, whatever you do, you will always copy it in your own way.  So if you were to be around individuals who gossip and complain, you will start to gossip and complain.

As leaders we are expected to be the ultimate role model for our staff, parents, and students.  Leaders need to have the filter on at all times, you know the "filter" we tell our students to use.  The filter that separates the inappropriate from our words.  I have been hurt by people who haven't used their filters and it crushes your spirit.  A leader builds, inspires, and guides.  We cannot lead an effective school, if we cut down people with our words and actions.

Every time my students (usually my female students) have a relationship breakdown, I always say you do not have to like them, but you must respect them.  There are so many adults who struggle with this concept, especially because adults have already confirmed who they like and what they want from people.  Disrespect in a grade level, at a school, or among the PTC, can be detrimental to progress and reaching a goal.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I love that you tell your students they don't have to like them, but they do have to respect them....respect that they are different, that they have different beliefs or attitudes about friendships, about education, about life! After 17 years in education I've met , worked with, taught kids of many people I didn't necessarily agree with- but, yes, we must show respect. Out of respect will rise trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your saying! Everybody should have a saying to remind them to protect their ears and attitudes. Maintaining trust is worth the extra effort and respecting others is crucial to this process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gossiping and complaining are commonly found in the teacher lounge... in the workroom... and sometimes in the parking lot. It is important to filter and model behaviors of trust. It is said that "Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you" and coworkers or leaders who are caught gossiping and complaining are difficult to trust. I had a few coworkers that gossiped and complained a lot. I often wondered what they would say about me when I was not around. Needless to say, I started to question their character, became guarded, and trust quickly broke down. Trust and collaboration are the main ingredients in successful PLCs. If you cannot trust your peers, it will be difficult to accomplish common goals or tasks.

    ReplyDelete