Sunday, November 6, 2011

The LAST Class

Human Resources:
I had three big thoughts during the presentation from Roxanne, Eduardo, and Judy.  First, the importance of reference checks in hiring.  Anyone is capable of putting on their "interview face" and perform to get the job, but asking references key questions like, "How do they perform in group settings," can answer your doubts or certainties immediately.  Especially, if you do not personally know the candidate, this would prove essential.  Next, the rules of being on a panel.  You must agree to not cross-talk, no rankings as a group, only individual input, and no sharing your choices are the principal makes their choice.  I have never been on a panel, so I appreciated hearing this.  Finally, if you can set criteria for the open position, your paper screening can be more effective and as a result, thin your interviewee pool.

Student Activities and Co-curricular Activities:
I thoroughly enjoyed this section of the evening.  The style of communication that we practiced had never been brought to my attention, and I thought of my interrupting students and my opinionated staff at school.  By just monitoring our own reactions during a conversation, we can show people we are really listening.  This tactic will be helpful in solving student and staff discipline issues, talking with passionate parents, and communicating in staff meetings.  It reminds me of the boys holding the conch in Lord of the Flies. While, our end result won't be eating each other, we will definitely understand each other.  On a personal note, I have been entertaining the thoughts of one day becoming an activities director, so I enjoyed this emphasis.

School Budgets and Finances:
Holy cow, Dr. Bradley is an asset to this community.  How lucky we are to have his wisdom to help guide school districts in these tough economic years.  Amazing how our current reality is based upon legislation from 20-50 years ago.  Also amazing, Dr. Bradley stated back then the education system did not have the lobbyists and foresight to set ourselves up better.  Other businesses have been better negotiated, but then again, they do not rely on so much state aid.  We can't complain, we must deal with the situation at hand.  I like that he centered his budget talk on what is the brand your district or school site want to align with and all your financial decisions will fall that way.  If you aren't sure what to focus on or what's important to your community and students, your budget (or lack thereof) will reflect that chaos.

3 comments:

  1. Great job summing up this weekend's class Jessica! The connections that you made demonstrate a deep level of learning, along with your plans for future implementation. I think you'll make a great activities director! Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughtful reflection and summary! I enjoyed the HR presentation and student activities/communication sections the most... I think because they were so interactive. We are indeed lucky to have such great resources, such as Dr. Bradley and the HR reps, to gain insight and knowledge from. All of our guest speakers have given us more pieces to the educational admin puzzle. I hope you'll pursue an activities director position if that is where your heart is. I agree with the other Jessica, I think that would be a great fit and transitional job for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I think you would make a fabulous activities director! I was put onto input overload with all the information we were fed in the 2 days. As the information kept coming, I realized this is the REAL stuff we NEED to know in order to become effective future leaders. You did an amazing job summarizing the classes! Good luck persuing Activities Director position!

    ReplyDelete