Saturday, December 3, 2011

Growth Plan & Capstone

Meeting with my principal to set up a SMART goal for myself was more fun then setting one for students ELA growth. We set a goal to increase my instructional leadership and help support our school with meeting SART parent needs. By finding, gathering, and researching study strategies for students in all subject areas we are helping them and listening to our clients. My principal was beyond excited to get me started on this project. However, I had some other adjectives and verbs that better described my feelings. She explained her whole job is making plans based on needs and then making sure she meets her goals.

My Capstone paper is still in the works and it reminds me of some other papers we've already done. But thinking of time and capacity of people (which I think means- what is your staff capable of doing well) was a different perspective of change for me. People can make or break a program. Like a mentor told me, "Poorly trained people are no help at all."

I'm sorry if there were a ton of errors or unconnected thoughts on this post. Typing on my phone is more difficult than I thought!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing everything Jess! Thanks for allowing me to work with you this year! Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people make the difference. Getting people to buyin and strive toward the same goal is a huge bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true that building effective professional development is important to achieving goals. Throwing training at staff members that is poorly planned and not directed at the school's goals is likely to be less than helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems more often than not, we're told what we need to implement or an effective teaching strategy is shared out, but we're not "trained" appropriately enough to implement any of it. I have found myself doing additional research myself after such "trainings" so that I can try things out. (but, I'm also kinda geeky like that)! I totally Agee- poorly trained people are so worthless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of your honest and insightful reflections this semester. I enjoyed getting to know you through your blog. You have a bright future ahead as an educational leader :) Good luck with your mock interview and all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete